Re: [Icehouse] CRP Ranking: Can It Skip Ranks?

  • From"Jorge Arroyo" <trozo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 7 Feb 2008 21:06:43 +0100
> 1) AAA
> 2) BBB
> 3) DDD, EEE, FFF, GGG, HHH
> 8) CCC

I think this is the best solution. If what matters is the comparison between pairs, either you mention all the games so that you can say which one you think is the worst, or just mention the ones you've played, but then the "worst" will just be registered as neutral with respect to the other games not mentioned...

-Jorge

On 2/7/08, David Artman <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Dale Newfield <Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> That appears to be precisely what they tried to express (unless the 8
> was really a typo for 3).

It was not--I put it there. The ballot said:
   "Best:
    AAA
    BBB
    Absolute worst:
    CCC"
I am trying to figure out how to capture that "absolute" statement.
Leaving CCC at 3 doesn't seem "absolute" so I put it at 8. Now, I am
just trying to figure out how that will be fed to the script, to
preserve the "absoluteness".

> From: Doug Orleans <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
> My preference would be to keep it simple.  Also, I think if someone is
> convinced that CCC is worse than DDD without having played DDD, then
> he should be able to decide if DDD is worse than BBB too.

I concur, but I don't want to dump a ballot (or an opinion, like
"absolute"). Thus, I am will to make it a tad more complex, to capture
the full opinion.

> From: "Doug Orleans" <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
> Wait, I take that back, we are not allowing ballots with ties (though
> I think the script can handle that).  Or are we?  This is the only
> instruction:
>
>   Anyone may judge games for the competition by e-mailing the
> Coordinator with a partial or complete list of competing games, ranked
> from "best" to "worst" (or "least best").

Nope, that's not the only instruction, viz:
"5. You may rank games as tied for a particular rank, in which case the
next rank is lowered for each extra game in the tie (e.g. if you rank
three games as tied for 1st Place, the next game that you list is ranked
in 4th Place)."

So, yes, we take ties and, yes, the script can handle them, else I
wouldn't have suggested my "padded 3rd place" solution.

Anyhow, the judge definitely wants CCC to be eighth place, so I gotta
find the "right" way to encode that. Andrew? :}
David