Re: [Icehouse] [Zendo] Another Spock Rule question

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 05 Aug 2011 09:44:45 -0400
Jody Chandler <windblownhermit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But it's different in a very important
>way. The shirt rule ultimately relies solely on a property that is
>considered part of koans, the colors, and so could be reasoned out by
>students because it is within the sphere of things they are told to
>consider when reasoning out what the rule may be.

The problem is that this is predicated on the idea that mapping rules aren't guessable, aren't part of the game, or aren't valid.  But really, they are.  "Bn iff given a mapping of color to number, the sum of the koan is odd' is perfectly guessable; so is one where the sum of the koan is prime (though much harder)".

>The Scrabble rule relies on a property that is not considered part of
>koans, the names and spelling in English of the colors.

It doesn't.  It only relies on color.  (And that color and color order, and no other property, is relevant is discoverable via traditional zendo techniques).  After that, the problem reduces to "determine how to duplicate the rule governing color order"--which can be done via inductive leap to a letter mapping (not actually that unlikely, though there's the huge elephant that the student's list will not likely be a 1-1 with the master's list).

Here's the thing--the rule is the same if you allow all colors or if you're only playing with the standard 4.  But with the 4, there's only one word in your list, so it's guessable by humans who don't catch the letter number thing in finite time.  So...when does the word list cross a legality (as opposed to sanity) threshold?  When you up it to 4 valid words?  8?  16?