Re: [Rabbits] Hippie Day at my High School

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 27 Sep 2005 15:08:15 -0400
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:49:13AM -0700, JK Grence wrote:
>    Get your hands on Procion dye.  The colors stay nice and bright for
>    years.  As they are very, very colorfast, you will need to take more
>    precautions than you would with Rit (rubber gloves being the first of
>    many).  Something that works brilliantly well is to get squeeze
>    bottles like the ones fast-food joints use for mustard and ketchup
>    from a restaurant supply store.  You get much better color control
>    than just dipping, and don't have to make as much dye either.  Simply
>    squeeze an ample amount (really, really soak it!)  on the area you
>    want, and let the excess fall into a bucket.  Of course, you can use a
>    funnel to put the excess back in the bottle for re-use.
>

>    Darn it, now I'm getting an itching to do some tie-dye...

I'd like to echo the recommendation of Procion dyes.  They're sold under
a bunch of brand names, look for "fiber reactive" on the package.  The
project I was doing ended up calling for quite a bit, so I went ahead
and ordered a small quantity (4 oz) of a few colors online from a
wholesaler, but craft stores often carry pretty reasonable packages
(Rainbow Rock is the brand I saw around here).

Just follow the directions that come with the dye for fixing it, and
you'll get great colors.  Oh, and pay attention to the comment about
using more turquoise by volume than other colors to get that nice,
intensely bright color out of it.  (And make sure it dissolves fully,
mine clumped a bit so I didn't get to use it all)

Marc