Re: [Rabbits] Hippie Day at my High School

  • Fromragnardove@xxxxxxx
  • DateTue, 27 Sep 2005 15:14:54 -0400
Another suggestion is to check out your local craft store to see what they have in the way of tie dye supply.  I did some neat stuff w/ my niece this summer and I second the "soak it" advice.  I didn't wash my t's ahead of time, but I did pre-soak my t-shirts in a soda-ash solution (on the advice of my local craft store guru) and that raelly worked!

You really do need to use gloves, unless you want to have hands dyed until your skin replaces itself.

Good luck!

Carol

Heck: it's where you go when you don't believe in gosh.

-----Original Message-----
From: JK Grence <jkgrence@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Rabbits Discussion List <rabbits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:49:13 -0700
Subject: Re: [Rabbits] Hippie Day at my High School

Get your hands on Procion dye.  The colors stay nice and bright for years.  As they are very, very colorfast, you will need to take more precautions than you would with Rit (rubber gloves being the first of many).  Something that works brilliantly well is to get squeeze bottles like the ones fast-food joints use for mustard and ketchup from a restaurant supply store.  You get much better color control than just dipping, and don't have to make as much dye either.  Simply squeeze an ample amount (really, really soak it!)  on the area you want, and let the excess fall into a bucket.  Of course, you can use a funnel to put the excess back in the bottle for re-use.

Darn it, now I'm getting an itching to do some tie-dye...