Re: [Rabbits] Rabbit Only Items in Dangling Carrot (was Re: Gray 'mids?)

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 26 Jan 2007 16:32:55 -0500
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 01:24:00PM -0800, Christopher Hickman wrote:
> On Friday, January 26, 2007, at 04:00PM, "Joshua Kronengold"
> <mneme@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >The system accumulates two numbers where it now accumulates one:
> >
> >You have "Rabbit Karma" and "Rabbit Points".

Thanks Josh, that's pretty much what I was looking for with my second
phrasing of option 2.

> >Your Rabbit Points are the number of points you have unspent, and can
> >be spent for a $1 discount on shipping or Dangling Carrot items.

It might be good to try to rephrase this to be more in line with the
current phrasing.  That is, make it feel like the default is to spend
Rabbit Points on Rabbit-Only items, and the exception is to buttress
that with cash.  With spending points on shipping being an alternative
use of them.  I think this "you bought this with points" phrasing
encourages the idea of these items as being special.  Should be doable
with language, though.

> >Whenever you purchase eligible items, your Rabbit Karma goes down for
> >each item you purchase.  Additionally, you may spend Rabbit Points on
> >such items.
>
> I don't understand this.  What's the point of the Rabbit Karma?  I see
> it goes down if you buy without earning more, but what the incentive
> to keep your Karma positive (besides the obvious cosmic and
> psychological reasons)?

Neither Karma nor Points can go negative, they can't go below zero.  You
can't purchase Rabbit-only items (the ones with a cost in points in the
Carrot) unless you have enough Karma to cover them.  You can't spend
points on a discount if you don't have them.  So with positive Karma,
you can buy more Rabbit-only items.  Once your Karma hits zero, you
can't buy any more until you go out and earn more Karma.

An interesting side-effect of this two number idea is that it could
potentially be played with in the future.  Instead of Karma and Points
being awarded equally, it would be possible to award them independently.
I'm not sure if that's a useful feature.

Question: This terminology is very Shadowrun like.  I intentionally
*didn't* use the term Karma the first time around because I didn't want
to borrow the terminology while I was borrowing the idea.  Do we mind
that?