Re: [Rabbits] Thoughts on being a Starship Captain

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 09 Nov 2010 00:20:02 -0500
Others have already covered that it's specifically a pyramid thing, and
the 'mids have always had a bit of a skiffy/space flair to them with the
whole Mars bit, so I can see Starship Captains working quite well (and
I'm already imagining making the logo from the top of the SC page into a
patch and sewing it onto some sort of a jumpsuit-ish thing...)

Excerpts from Carol Townsend's message of Mon Nov 08 20:19:31 -0500 2010:
> Secondly, it just feels somehow... I don't know... not what I'd expect
> from Looney Labs.  I understand that they seem to be moving away from
> the Hippie Gaming Company to become the company about Smart Games for
> Smart People.  That's cool.  But on the Starship Captain's site, it
> talks about Throwdowns and Battles, and Multi-Battles and Competition
> and War-war-war-war.... it's not the Peace-and-Love,
> you're-accepted-as-you-are sort of feeling that drew me in.

You're not alone on this one, Carol. The backstory Andy proposes talks
about how Starship Captains like to play pyramid games against one
another (and presumably their crews) to while away the long hours flying
from place to place, and I really appreciate that there's nothing to
suggest that Captains are/aren't of the warrior type. I'd personally
imagine myself as more of an explorer, or possibly a trader.

Thus there's kind of a jump when the competitive terms have implied
violence. Not just the introduction of battle, although that's where
it's most blatant, but throwdown does imply a violent confrontation as
well.

I think I like the ideas behind this. I definitely think there's a space
for a pyramid-specific subset of the fan club. I do think it could be
made more fun, less generic, and more Looney Labs if the violent imagery
can be weeded out, though.

Also, I kind of miss the Mars theme. Is Mars gone, or can we work it
back in here?

[A note: Starship Captains evokes a kind of rugged individualism that
American culture and sci-fi really love, but I don't know if it fits the
Looney Labs culture well. Something to think about as well, as it could
end up feeling political for people.]

Carol's point about potentially creating a sense that pyramid players
are more "elite" Captains compared to the "mere" generic Techs is also
something to watch out for. That could be very justifiably upsetting to
people we love.

P.S. I miss all you guys, whatever we're called these days!