Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Supertaster

  • From"Ryan McGuire and Kerry Breitenbach" <kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 3 Aug 2008 08:14:41 -0400
Carol,
Your initial message on the subject suggested that TT _could_ taste the bitter paper while Tt and tt were lumped together as non-tasters. Given my grade school understanding of dominant genes, I suspected that TT and Tt should be lumped together. However, rather than worrying about the details about who could/couldn't taste the paper, I just went with what you initially said as the basis for the story/urban legend. All I really remember: bitter paper genetics = surprise proof of adoption.

As for my family...
I'm certain that the paper just tasted like paper to me. It was no worse than chewing on a piece of notebook paper. If I recall correctly, my dad also tasted nothing while my mom could taste it. That would suggest that Dad and I are tt, while Mom must be Tt. I don't think we were given enough paper to have siblings participate.

Ryan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx> To: "General Wunderland.Com Discussion List" <something@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Something] Supertaster

Don't know if the story is true or not, but if you're a Taster, you're TT or
Tt (it's a dominant trait).  So both parents could be Tasters (Tt and Tt)
and she could be a non-taster (tt) and still be their child.

I'm a living example of parents who are dominant in various traits and I'm
recessive - I'm left handed (both parents are right handed), have blue eyes,
am a non-taster, can't roll my tongue, have no widow's peak...etc.

Anyway - it's a good story. How did the genetics work out in your family -
were they all Tasters or all Non-Tasters? :)
Carol

On 8/2/08, Ryan McGuire and Kerry Breitenbach <kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx>