Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Supertaster

  • From"Ryan McGuire and Kerry Breitenbach" <kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 2 Aug 2008 21:38:50 -0400
When we did that gentics experiment, we were supposed to take little pieces of the paper home and see who else in our family could taste it. The teacher told us a story (perhaps urban legend) of a student that found out she was adopted that way. Apparently both her parents could (therefore both TT) and she couldn't (therefore Tt ot tt). Ain't that a fine how-do-you-do?

Ryan

From: "Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Something] Supertaster
One test for "taster/non-taster" (I'm not sure if it's for what's being
called a "supertaster" or not) is often done in Biology classes during a
genetics unit.  (has anyone else done this?)

Students get a small strip of paper, on which is a susbstance (PTC) that is very bitter to those who can taste it. Some speculation is that if you are a homozygous for the ability to taste (TT instead of Tt or tt), then it is a more intense bitter taste. This might be an indication of a "supertaster."