Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] lesson plans

  • FromFred Poutre <cloven-fruit@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 28 Apr 2006 21:39:49 -0600
Carol-
>did you use the game as a central part of the learning or was it a
>reinforcement/reward thing?

The group I am working with plans to have seminar like settings for study
skills, social skills, life skills (cooking, cleaning, sewing). They
mentioned that they wanted a break in the middle to do something "fun",
so I suggested games. Fluxx in particular and Set (non-Looney game) is a
very good one as well.
They are games that encourage thinking that are fun.
Plus as I am tutoring math, I can demonstrate the mathematic properties
of them and the fact that is takes math to make the games. Real life
application of math, that is not as boring to most kids.

Magi-
>I thought about having my kids make cards.

That is exactly the thing I wanted to do, in combination with the math
demonstration of how they function as a pattern. Not just Fluxx, but
other games as well. Making games also teaches pattern manipulation
skills (which can be in part mathematical).

Thanks
Fred Poutre