Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] lesson plans

  • FromFred Poutre <cloven-fruit@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 1 May 2006 09:21:04 -0600
>Fred, If you're teaching a group that needs to work on Life Skills, Set
is
>going to be very frustrating for them.
<snip>
>failure for my kids with an autistic spectrum disorder.  The rules
change too quickly, >and that is the biggest problem that kids with an
autism spectrum disorder have; they >need things to be structured and the
same.

Oh, no, the kids I am going to work with (from my understanding) are not
in need of life skills because they have developmental disorders. They
need such because they are lower income families, whose parents or single
parent are too busy working to get the opportunity to tech their kids
household skills.
The program is aimed for kids that typically fall into social
circumstances that put them "at risk" for school failures that usually
lead to life failures. Lower income kids that are falling behind in
subjects, who can hopefully be encouraged by both the one-on-one teaching
focus, and the fun field trips where we show them how to apply different
subjects to real life circumstances. They hope to do carrier shadowing as
well.

>One reason that we do games is because it gives them a chance to
practice social >skills, and also some functional math skills.
>Magi

The social skills is a good point, which honestly was last on the list in
my head (fun, thinking, math, social).

Thanks
Fred Poutre