Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] Need some teacher advice please

  • From"Juanpablo Amado" <cardzmaster2004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 29 Mar 2007 16:41:03 -0400
I'm not usually talkative on list, but I'm about to post something, so I figured I should chime in.

I'm not a teach yet, but will be doing a field experience and student teaching this coming year. As such, I'm trying to figure out where LL games could fit within a Music Ed. classroom. So far, I figured out a Fluxx adaptation with new goals and Keepers (to be posted) and have some other ideas for Fluxx adaptations. I love Pyramids, but jsut don't see the classroom use as of yet (still working on that). And the rest of the games jsut don't seem to fit well.

I own EcoFluxx but, since I probably won't be teaching any Science classes within the next five-ten years (at least), the deal really doesn't work for me. That doesn't mean the deal isn't great. If I had the extra money, I'd jump on it and use the decks some other way. But as for an Earth Day lesson, I just can't figure out how to use it in a music class (high school is my focus).

And, yes, end-of-year projects are loming over me and I am ever getting more and more leery of the the multiple papers, projects, lesson plans, conducting exams, etc. that will soon own my life. Suffice to say I probably won't be existing for about the two weeks leading up to finals.

I do think the Looney Academy is doing a great job, though. It's jsut getting started but I can see it being a great resource to any teacher trying to figure out just where Looney gaming fits in their curriculum. And I think that telling teachers about this at the Looney for Education seminar at Origins will boost site hits quite a bit.

From: "Carol Townsend" <edu-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Looney Labs Education Discussion List" <edu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Edu] Need some teacher advice please
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:28:03 -0500

Hey all

Two weeks ago, I posted here about the new Academy page that had just gone
up:
http://www.looneylabs.com/Academy/index.html

... and then last week I'd asked if anyone was doing anything for Earth Day.

I've gotten almost no response.  Yes, Kimberly and Kate did chat for a
moment - but it's been really quiet here lately.

And there's been no nibbles on the Teacher's Special that I talk about on
the Academy page.
http://www.looneylabs.com/OurStores/product.html?ProductID=302

Nobody's ordered any EcoFluxx for their classroom.

So... here's the question - or the advice I'm looking for:

1) What's up?  Is it the time of year that everyone is so crazy busy?
2) Is the special not "special" enough? What would you like to see instead?
3) Are we just not getting the word out enough?  If so - where else should
we go (we're talking "free" here too - not asking if we should pay for ads
in educational publications...)
4) Was the content of the Academy posting not meeting needs?

It's been a big echo of nothingness here folks - what do I need to change???

thanks!
Carol
- she who is just trying to figure out how best to help teachers...