Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] MusicFluxx

  • From"Juanpablo Amado" <cardzmaster2004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 29 Mar 2007 23:43:04 -0400
Ach, methods classes.

Thanks for pointing out the Orff thing, Carol. Orff instruments are typically rhythm instruments used to teach basic rhythm and community music making through the music theories of Karl Orff (Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Orff). These isntruments include everything from basic wood blacks and rhythm sticks up to pitched instruments such as xylophones and glockenspiels. But msot students wouldn't understand this unless I taught them about Karl Orff, so I should probably change the wording to "percussion instruments" instead. Thanks for noticing this!

As for the multiple Goals, the object of the lesson was to get students to compose measures of music. At the 6th-7th grade level (target for my lesson), the only meters they should be working in (according to National Standards) were 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, 12/8, 2/2, and cut time. I chose to include one of each 6/4 and 5/4 as these would easily make sense to students. Also, 9/8 is jsut another way of stating 3/4, except beat emphasis is placed on beats 1 and 4 (when using eighth notes as the steady beat, although dotted quarters work ebtter for more advanced pieces).

As for running multiples of Keepers, I'll probably end up doing that. After looking through some of the rhythms, I realized I was struggling with a few (especially the ones that combined triplets and some other note). I'm still open to any other suggestions (and thanks to those who brought up pyramids as noteheads. That should do the trick. I have other ideas as well). Thanks for all the ideas so far and I'm open to any more y'all might have!

From: "Carol Townsend" <edu-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Looney Labs Education Discussion List" <edu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Edu] MusicFluxx
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:43:16 -0500

Wow... these look fantastic Johnpaul!

I did have a couple of questions - being a science teacher, I can tell you
why carbon dioxide is heavier than air... but I'm only a pracitced amatuer
when it comes to music.  My mom has perfect pitch, and since she's my
relative, I have relative pitch.... (ok... enough with the bad jokes.) True
though - my mom studied music, has perfect pitch, and I grew up reading
music at the same time I was reading kid's books.

So...back to my questions.  what is an Orff instrument?  I see it on a lot
of your Goals, but I don't know what it is.  I'm just curious.

Also, you have 4 copies of "Improvise a 4/4 measure", 2 of 9/8, 2 of 6/8 and
2 of 3/4.  I know what each of those time signatures mean, but I don't
really get why you need multiple copies of the goal. I would think you'd
want multiple copies of the Keepers to be able to make full measures to
improvise.

I like the way you've rethemed the basic cards to fit your needs, like
Forced Improv or Old Improv Ideas.  I was thinking you could do a few
more... maybe some ideas from students can add on to this (one obvious
rethemed cards was "Second Gig" instead of Double Agenda... you're so
successful as a musician that they want you back for a second gig!  You win
with either Goal...)

But it looks like you've got a winner - this is great!

Carol