Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Re: the printed rules to Fluxx (Austin Muhlestein)

  • From"Carol Townsend" <carol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 31 Jan 2007 11:04:15 -0600
I shudder to think of anyone learning Fluxx from the currently available Micro-Fluxx  [insert visible shudder of horror here!]   It is really bad - not in the least because I think Fluxx is not a great 2-player game. Add that to the fact that it doesn't follow the rules.....

However, that being said, I totally understand. I got hooked on Micro-Fluxx for a little bit too, but it was after I'd already played the card version.

But this may be a good line of thinking for some.  Having GOOD electronic versions out there, for Palm or Flash or what-have-you might be a way for some to learn Fluxx who haven't got a person to teach them.  We even have a page where we talk about electronic versions of our games and how to go about doing them (which even has a link to MicroFluxx):

http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Arcade/Index.html

I think someone was taking on the "I want to do a better Fluxx-for-Palm" version recently - how is that going?

But - that's not going to solve the problem of Mrs. America Shopper who is going into her local "We Are Toys" store chain, sees Family Fluxx and picks it up.  She's not going to have a Palm version and won't think of going to the computer to learn how to play this card game.  She's going to want to be able to sit down with her husband, dog and 2.5 children and play it that evening after dinner at the Family Game Night.  So we have to design the rules with that sort of person in mind.

Games like Slamwich and Blink and MummyRummy... people can play those from the rules, maybe after a read-through or two and a trial game - but still... you get my point.  Our rules have to do the same thing.  Not be the same game - but the rules need to be on the same order of magnitude, as it were.

Thanks for working with us on this folks!!

Carol