Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Nothing to draw

  • FromAndy Looney <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 11 Jan 2009 12:16:35 -0500
Hi Michael,

I think those who've written before me have already answered this pretty well, but just for completeness, here's my reply...

In general, if the rules command you to do something impossible, then do as much as you can, and move on.

If the rule says Play 3 and you only have 2 cards, then you Play 2 and stop. Similarly, if the rule says Draw 4 and there are only 3 cards for you to draw (even after reshuffling) then you draw 3 cards and proceed with the Play phase. In this very rare scenario, all players will have giant handfuls of cards and as noted, all it will take is a Hand Limit to flood the discard pile. This means that if you play a Hand Limit at this point, you'll force everyone else to discard, and then, assuming your turn isn't over, you'll be able to draw the extra card(s) you were supposed to get during the Draw phase, the same way you draw more cards if you increase the Draw amount during your turn.

If you play an Action that requires you to draw more cards than are available, you again draw as many as you can and make do with what you have at that point. If you don't get your full value for the card because of the situation, maybe it's not a good idea to play that card at this time. The point is that no, you would not redraw the Action played as one of the cards for the Action. The Action card does not become part of the discard pile until after the Action has been fully resolved.

I find it helpful to imagine that the Action card hovers in the air above the discard pile while the Action is happening, perhaps spinning slowly in space so that it can be seen by all, then gently settling down onto the discard pile afterwards.

-- Andy Looney