Re: [Icehouse] Size for 4 - 6 pointers (Was: Giant Martian Coaster boards)

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 10 Jan 2007 11:35:40 -0800
On Wednesday, January 10, 2007, at 02:05PM, "Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Each step is 3/8ths of an inch taller and approximately 7/32nds wider
>(actually 3/14ths, but good luck finding that on your ruler), so a six
>pip would be 2 1/8" tall and 1 21/32" wide.  Approximately.  (Actually
>1 9/14")

Cool thanks.

>  That's right isn't it?  Double check my math.  Wednesday is bad for
>arithmetic.

Argh! Math.

>  And I think that IS linear growth, pretty much by definition.

Yeah. You're right.  I realize now what I thought I meant: the angles are not constant.  As the pyramids get bigger, the get more squat (that is, the linear growth of the base width is a larger ratio to the linear growth of the height).  So, if you were to take a hypothetical 10 pointer and cut of the top 1 inch of the tip, it would NOT be a 1 pointer, because it would be waaaay too wide.