Re: [Icehouse] Explaining icehouse as simply as possible

  • FromDale Sheldon <dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 23 Jul 2007 14:16:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Carol Townsend wrote:

Zarcana/Gnostica coloring has suggested:

Rods = Green
Swords = Red
Cups = Blue
Discs = Yellow.

...I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Color denotes player ownership in Zarcana/Gnostica.

From my (admittedly small amount of) knowledge of the history of cards, I believe that:

Rods = Clubs
Swords = Spades
Cups = Hearts
Discs = Diamonds.

But this is correct.

Regardless, I'd refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-color_deck

"In a typical four-color deck, hearts are red and spades are black as usual, but clubs are green and diamonds are blue. However, other color combinations have been used over the centuries."

Which matches up for 3 out of 4, leaving spades the odd-ball yellow, instead of being black.

Also, 5-suited decks--with the same four colors/suits as above plus *yellow* stars--are not entirely unknown.

--
Dale Sheldon
dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx