Re: [Icehouse] Introduction to the list

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 22 Aug 2007 09:52:56 -0700
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:41:26 -0400, Dale Newfield wrote:
> Then, if there is still more than a single most-likely-to-be-rolled
> shortest path, picking one that leaves either the longest path for your
> opponent(s) or requires the most unlikely die rolls.
>
> This seems like a fairly concise description of an optimal playing
> strategy.  Any holes?

Well, the "204 state graph" description only accounts for a single
trio. Things get a bit more complicated when you have to consider both
your own trio and the house trio.

Also, an optimal strategy will need to consider the opponent's
position earlier than just as a tie breaker. The extreme case is when
an opponent's trio is identical to your own. In that case, the
"shortest path" modification of the house can be a quite risky move to
make.

-Carl

PS. This _is_ Treehouse we're talking about, right? That light game
with much of the chance and chaos of Fluxx that a lot of people like
because it _doesn't_ require deep thought to play?? ;-)

Ah well, leave it to us geeks to mis-apply deep thought universally...