Re: [Icehouse] Win2008 IGDC - Your Thoughts? (long; take your time)

  • From"Avri Klemer" <avri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 19 Feb 2008 09:52:10 -0500
I know I was waiting until after the announcement to list feedback, in line with what everybody did last time out.

One possible issue I see with the current contest may be the quality of submissions . . .

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Icehouse] Win2008 IGDC - Your Thoughts? (long; take your time)

I guess we have to ask ourselves, do we really care (as a community) about new icehouse games? If a contest is not enough to get feedback for new games from the community, then what is? Maybe a review contest with prizes? (I was actually thinking about doing something like this for the piecepack comunity, which suffers from the same problem: lack of feedback).

After the relative success of last competition I thought things were looking up, but I must say I'm pretty disappointed.  It doesn't matter how creative we are as a designer community if we aren't  able to actually playtest the games and offer feedback. It's bad for the games (that don't have a chance to get better) and bad for the designers (which don't have a chance to see flaws and become better designers).

We should all think about this...

At least, I hope the people that submitted rankings all share their thoughts and feedback after the contest is over, because there's almost no feedback at all right now.

BTW, I'd say go ahead and end the competition and announce the winners. If a 1:1 ratio was accepted as valid before, it should be accepted now too, shouldn't it?

-Jorge