Re: [Icehouse] Pyramids in mono/bulk

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 26 Feb 2009 13:34:34 -0500
Excerpts from David L. Willson's message of Thu Feb 26 12:57:22 -0500 2009:
> How do I buy pyramids in bulk?  How do I buy mono-stashes?  I know that I can

Time travel is fairly on-topic for a Looney Labs list, so I'd suggest
going back in time a few years to before the switch to Treehouse
packaging and picking up what you need. ;)

There are probably some monochrome tubes still floating around out there
for sale.  You could try searching game stores/eBay?  That distribution
method is officially unsupported now, however.

By bulk do you really mean bulk?  You could try sending an email to LL
directly.  They're really nice people, and you might be able to work
something out.

> The first idea I want to try is to paint up a gold set of skeletons
> (http://home.att.net/~kerry_and_ryan/Dcp_0259.jpg), with red, solid-lead
> pyramids inside them for weight.  I think that'd rock.

That sounds really cool.  Please do post pictures if you get them made.

> Aside:  Does anyone know how to search a mailman archive?  I'm sure what I
> asked is a FAQ, but I don't know how to search the ML archive to avoid
> re-asking it.  Similarly, does this ML have a FAQ?  Is that a FAQ?  Why do we
> (not this list, but ML's in general, still use mailman, when it sucks so badly
> when compared to BBS/Forum type discussions?  Why isn't the FAQ, if there is
> one, linked from the ML's information page?

Lack of search a search box on the mailman archive page does strike me
as an annoying 'feature' of mailman.  It shouldn't be too hard to
implement; I wonder if they've done so already.  I similarly find the
inability to download the *entire* archive in a single tarball to be
frustrating; I can easily write a script to download all the monthlies,
but I shouldn't have to.

I believe Google indexes this mailing list, so you might try doing a
search through there.

An alternative is to download all the monthlies and grep through them.
mbox is designed to be human-readable and accessible by text processing
tools.  When I subscribe to a new list that I want access to the
archives for I'll usually download the archives and push them into my
local mail archive so my mail client can see them.  This requires more
technical knowledge than *should* be required just to search the
archives, though.

The other option is to view (I usually do by thread) one month at a time
and use the built-in search in your web browser to search subjects, but
that's . . . really annoying.

I don't know if anybody maintains an FAQ for this list. There certainly
isn't one which is regularly posted.

We (this list, and MLs in general) still use mailman because many of the
users find BBS/Forum type discussions suck much more badly than mailing
lists.  This particular list has the argument about twice a year.

There's definitely a lot of room for improvement for mailman's web
interface; particularly in how it could be helpful to giving a new
participant access to the archives in a useful format as described
above. Anybody know if mailman is still under active development?