Re: [Icehouse] IGDC initial design for feedback

  • FromTimothy Hunt <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 19 Mar 2009 11:38:01 -0500

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:12 AM,  <tbaileysr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And that is why Looney Labs and retailers like th current packaging model and end users do not.

Wait just a minute.

Looney Labs and Retailers like the current packaging model because it
sells, whereas Icehouse stashed didn't.  Who are they selling to, if
not to "end users"?

If someone said "Hey, I'm designing a game that uses chess pieces",
and then proceeded to make a game that required the use of 10 queens,
you wouldn't complain at people who made chess pieces, you'd suggest
that the game designer might want to reconsider his design.

No offense to Sam, but given that Pyramids are sold as TreeHouse sets,
not Icehouse stashes, you really should take that into consideration.
 I have an (almost) full collection (don't have Pink Treehouse yet),
and I could only just manage the 2 opaque stashes requirement.  I'm
likely an exception, and I largely did it for the pretty.  My Xeno
pieces rarely see the light of day, and for the vast majority of games
require "5-house" at most.

If you want your game played, you have to have a game that can
reasonably be played under the current sales model (which I like, and
I'm an "end user"), because otherwise, it's simply not going to see
the table, because even people who are "maxed out" (5-house) on either
rainbow or xeno are unlikely to buy another full 5-house ($60 retail),
just so they can play one more game.

Timothy