Re: [Icehouse] IGDC initial design for feedback

  • FromJoshua Kronengold <mneme@xxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 19 Mar 2009 11:45:41 -0500
Timothy Hunt writes:
>Looney Labs and Retailers like the current packaging model because it
>sells, whereas Icehouse stashed didn't.  Who are they selling to, if
>not to "end users"?

Indeed.  More particularly, as an end user (and one who's bought a lot
of extras stashes over the years), I like the new packaging -- it
makes it more likely that the games and game system and company will
stay alive, which is the main thing.

>If someone said "Hey, I'm designing a game that uses chess pieces",
>and then proceeded to make a game that required the use of 10 queens,
>you wouldn't complain at people who made chess pieces, you'd suggest
>that the game designer might want to reconsider his design.

Yep.  There's a reason 3-house exists -- because new packaging = new
design philosophy around existing packaging.

> I have an (almost) full collection (don't have Pink Treehouse yet),
>and I could only just manage the 2 opaque stashes requirement.  I'm
>likely an exception, and I largely did it for the pretty.  My Xeno
>pieces rarely see the light of day, and for the vast majority of games
>require "5-house" at most.

I could handle 3 opaques, and have a -lot- of spare stashes.  (And
yes, every color).  I'm not usual, though.

>the table, because even people who are "maxed out" (5-house) on either
>rainbow or xeno are unlikely to buy another full 5-house ($60 retail),
>just so they can play one more game.

True. OTOH, grey is still available, so 5-house+Grey would play this,
as mentioned.

Also, MegaVolcano (MEGA VOLCANO!) playes with 8 stashes; this is far
from the only game with extreme requirements.

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'