Re: [Icehouse] Your favorite (and least favorite) 3 (or 7) games

  • FromAndy Looney <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 23 Mar 2009 19:58:04 -0400
Conspicuous by its absence from your lists, Emperor Andy, is the fiddly, obscure, sometimes irritating, much-maligned, and much- beloved obsession/game, Icehouse. :-) Andy, was that omission accidental, or did Icehouse actually fit in neither list for you?

I've played a lot of classic Icehouse over the years, and I certainly enjoy it, but I only play it now at the IIT. At this point I can basically take it or leave it.

I can't wait to play Zark City, and it ~was~ totally unfair to put two unavailable games on your list. How the Heck do we play them? Yes, I know "wait"... I am reading this book on patience, but it's soooo long. Isn't there a faster way to learn patience?

Never minding that for a moment, I've noticed a mysterious red triangle with a "1" in it on the spine of my "Playing with Pyramids"... Does that mean that one day, I will have a short shelf of "Playing with Pyramids"es, each with their own triangle, their own unique number and perhaps color, too?

--David

----- "Andy Looney" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(two (or three) lists, none of which included the venerated classic...)

This is a difficult challenge! I have many favorites that I had to
leave
off this list because 7 is just such a small number! But here's a list
of
my 7 current favorites, based on what I'm playing the most often right
now,
or would be most likely to be enthusiastic about playing. Of course,
being
rather badly biased, most of these are my own designs, but isn't that
what
you'd expect of me? And to make matters worse, two of these are games
haven't even released yet! (Sorry about that...) Anyway, here's my
list:

  1) Binary Homeworlds
  2) Secret Project PD-09
  3) Secret Project MB-17 (aka IceGlotz-17)
  4) Zark City
  5) World War 5
  6) Volcano
  7) IceTowers

Honorable Mention: Martian Hold'em and Hearts (i.e. using the pyramids
as
scorekeeping tokens)

More Honorable Mentions: Black ICE, Martian Chess, Treehouse, and
RAMbots

As for my 3 least favorites:

  X) Zendo: I realize Zendo is wildly popular with some, but I'm
     never interested in playing. It's just not my kind of game.
  Y) Gnostica: I wrote a whole essay about my beefs with this:
     http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Andy/Games/IPreferZarcana.html
  Z) Spicklehead: I wish these rules didn't even exist. The idea
     of someone getting hurt by my beloved pyramids is my worst
     nightmare, so the humor of this one is lost on me.

Great question!
-- Andy