Re: [Icehouse] Wherefore 3HOUSE?

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 10 May 2010 08:29:36 -0400
I agree with Topher that having it in a box is better than
shrink-wrapped tubes.  But I also agree with Nick that it doesn't need
to be "a big box with a bunch of wasted space", since that makes
people feel cheated.  A medium-sized box would be good, IMO. What I
would like best would be a box just big enough to hold the original
contents plus a reasonable number of accessories: 5 sets of pyramids,
Martian Coasters, and boards for Volcano, World War 5, and PD-09.

The point Evan brings up about multi-game boxes being a turn-off is
worth considering.  I wonder how much that effect holds for the public
at large.  Most games are sold singly, though occasionally you see
boxes with multiple games -- Duck Duck Safari being the most recent
one that comes to mind.  It would be good to have real market research
and not just personal opinions.

One common sight is the box full of traditional games: chess,
checkers, backgammon, cribbage, etc.  Perhaps 3House could come across
with an appeal similar to that, combined with the appeal of the exotic
as well.  After all, it will have a chessboard game (Martian Chess)
and a game with cards (Zark City).  Which makes me wonder if 3House
would come with a chessboard/bandanna and deck of cards, or if it
would just say "Chess board and cards not included" in small print.

Bryan