Re: [Icehouse] [Zendo] Rule clarification [Mondo]

  • FromJeff Zeitlin <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 02 Apr 2011 11:52:48 -0400
On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 09:27:23 -0400, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>B) When you play a mondo because you are ready to make a guess, use it to
>try to falsify your theory rather than an easy confirmation it.  If your
>koan is an easy confirmation of an incorrect theory, you will find out it's
>incorrect by guessing, rather than mondoing, and you will have to spend a
>stone and inform the rest of the players of your incorrect theory.

After reading the above paragraph, I dimly remembered reading something
about Zendo and the Scientific Method, so I went through my LiveJournal,
where I'd recalled linking to it, and googled as well, and found it on
BoardGameGeek:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/154012/zendo-as-a-tool-for-teaching-the-scientific-method
(via Google) or http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1363713#1363713
(via freetrav.livejournal.com).  The point that Buck made above was also
made in that article by the author, and is an important one, both as a
Zendo playing strategy and as a guide to "doing science".

And I agree with the author of the article (from a comment later in the
discussion) that it would be a good idea to retheme Zendo and market a
"boxed" set as an educational game.