[Rabbits] Tie-dying lab coats

  • FromAlison <alison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 18 Oct 2005 11:05:45 -0400
regarding lab coat dyeing:

Watch out for the fabric content. Most of the labcoats I've seen have a heavy dose of synthetics to keep them wrinkle-free. That makes the fabric dye really poorly.

The purple labcoat we dyed for the top rabbit at origins was bought from Dharma, and it was all cotton - but frankly, I find that the fabric is kind of light, and it wrinkles up and doesn't look very lab-coat-y. That's why they don't make them out of all cotton very often, I guess.

Luisa, on the other hand has an all cotton one that's a heavier fabric. Almost a twill. That makes it stay stiffer and flatter. I have no idea where she got it - probably from a lab she worked in somewhere.

But seriously. If you're planning to dye or tie-dye a lab coat, be very aware of the fabric. It really has to be all natural fibers for the dye to take well.

-Alison

--On Friday, October 14, 2005 3:19 PM -0700 Robby Delosier <robbydelosier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I appreciate the help!  But, the one I requisition will be like 5 bucks
and brand new.  Buying in bulk helps.