Re: [Rabbits] New Rabbit

  • Fromkerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx
  • DateThu, 27 Jul 2006 15:34:18 +0000
On 7/26/06, Shadowcat <shadowcat@xxxxxx> wrote:
> What tarot decks do people use for these games?

I know the Londa Tarot is the one endorsed by Looney Labs.  However, I find the characters depicted too, what's a good word, homogeneous after a while.  Everyone is thin and has long hair.  It's just too much of the same thing over and over.  Don't get me wrong -- any one picture is nice in and of itself.  It's just that 78 cards of the same basic figure is an overload.

My local New Age store had the Connolly Tarot on sale the day I was looking for a Zarcana deck, so that's the one I got.  The pastel artwork there is a little too washed out for my taste, but at least I'm happier with the artwork with this deck than the Londa deck.  Something cool: One of the Pages in this deck is carrying what appears to be an Icehouse pyramid.

IF I had to do it all over again, I'd just go with the basic Rider-Waite or one of the recolorings of it.  The Universal Waite deck isn't bad.  I think the Radiant Rider-Waite is a nice version.

Concerning ultr-specialized decks, such as the Tarot of the Cat People, or the Gummy Bear Tarot:  What a pile of crap!  Ptui!

And lastly, if you want a general gaming tarot deck, may I suggest one of the Italian or French decks.  They tend to have less extraneous symbolism.  Note that the French tarot decks use Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, and Clubs for suits.
    http://www.pagat.com/class/itarot.html
    http://www.pagat.com/class/ftarot.html

Ryan