Re: [Rabbits] Convention Roster

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 19 Jul 2007 16:06:03 -0400
On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 03:12:25PM -0400, Christopher Hickman wrote:
> > If you do create the categories, make sure to have the year
> > in them, such as [[Category:GenCon 2007]].  I think that
> > would be preferable for both planning and archival purposes.

I keep going back and forth about this.  On the one hand, it allows that
finer grain of information.  On the other hand, it would clutter the
User page (If I have badges for every convention I've ever attended, or
even just for every convention I've demo'ed at, it's going to quickly
become ludicrious . . . both the section with the pictures and the
Categories section).

> Indeed. So the templates should be like {{attends_GenCon06}}
> {{attends_GenCon07}} {{attends_GenCon08}} with the badge reading "This user
> attended GenCon in 2006" "This user is attending GenCon this year" and "This
> user will attend GenCon 2008" respectively.  Of course, after GenCon 2007,
> it the template can be modified to the past tense, and everybody will be
> automatically updated.

This would be cool.  I'm reading up on templates to figure out if
there's a way to do {{attends_GenCon|years=06,08}} and have the desired
behavior.  There might be something close.

I think it's time to move this discussion to the wiki itself (I see
you've already done that, but it's largely split between your Talk
pages).  Accordingly, I've created:
http://rabbits.continuation.org/wiki/RabbitWiki:Conventions_as_Categories

Should be a good place to catch follow-up discussion.  I'll try to get
most of the current commentary included.

Marc