Re: [Rabbits] Convention Roster

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 19 Jul 2007 15:03:56 -0400
On Jul 19, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Christopher Hickman wrote:

The [[Category:convention_name]] tag is slightly
unintuitive, and it requires editing your user page and
typing in a code which requires balancing brackets.

As I mentioned above, making a convention a Category
is somewhat unintuitive.  While I think it will probably
have the desired behavior, it feels a bit kludgy to me.
It could just be an issue of nomenclature, though.

The best way to do that is the same way that wikipedia does their user
badges. That is, as a template that *includes* the category, so instead of having to manually add [[Category:GenCon]], you'd put {{attends_GenCon}} in your user page and get a little badge that shows that you attend on your user page and have your user page automatically added to the GenCon Category
page.

You may even be able to set up a link on the convention page that says "I attend this convention", which takes you to the edit screen for your user page, with that particular template filled in.

As Marc says, the wiki isn't ideal because it isn't searchable as easily as an actual database, but it does allow you to get things like this up and running a lot faster than writing the code, integrating it with the existing system, keeping it running, keeping it ported forward to new systems, etc.

By the way, I am too busy with everything else (including keeping the wiki software up to date and running) to really spend much time setting this sort of thing up on the wiki, but I encourage everyone else to experiment with and help set up these really useful kinds of categories, templates, and general organization of the wiki.