Re: [Rabbits] Convention Roster

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 19 Jul 2007 14:21:36 -0400
On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 10:58:40AM -0700, David Artman wrote:

> Hmmm.... Giving it some thought, I don't see a reason why conventions
> couldn't become Categories at the wiki, and you just add them to your
> User page with the [[Category:convention_name]] code.

Hmmm...I like this idea as a temporary solution.  It looks like it
captures all the relevant functionality and it doesn't require much work
to get it underway.

I don't like it as a permanent solution for a few reasons:

1. I think it would be extremely advantageous for the convention roster
to be ultimately database-driven.  It allows a lot more flexibility in
how the data is used in a number of ways.

2. Many Rabbits aren't terribly wiki-savvy, and may not be interested in
learning wiki code.  The [[Category:convention_name]] tag is slightly
unintuitive, and it requires editing your user page and typing in a code
which requires balancing brackets.  This is a lot more than browsing
someone's Rabbit Profile and thinking, "Oh yeah, I go to that
convention, too!", [click], [click], now it's in my Profile!

3. The Rabbit Profile != a Rabbit's User page.  Having some data in one
place and some in the other is . . . confusing.

4. As I mentioned above, making a convention a Category is somewhat
unintuitive.  While I think it will probably have the desired behavior,
it feels a bit kludgy to me.  It could just be an issue of nomenclature,
though.

> Heck, it seems MORE powerful as well as more consolidated and useful
> than the only way at LL.com. To me, at least--I'm gonna do my
> conventions today, in fact.

I'll probably edit my User page sometime this afternoon as well.  I'd
like to explore how this works, and, as I said, it seems like an
excellent short-term solution.

Marc