Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Games in the Classroom

  • FromKristin Looney <customer-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 06 Apr 2006 11:54:03 -0400
--On April 6, 2006  Ragnardove@xxxxxxx wrote:

I bet you can adapt some of
those games (I'm thinking of Volcano, Treehouse, etc) to your class...
and there can be ways to bring math into it (how may points - pip count -
are in this row after a move, etc).

you could play Treehouse, just cause it's fun...  but then keep score
as Andy described in a thought reside a few weeks back:

"If you're playing Treehouse  with only 2 people, you can use the 2
leftover colors for score-keeping!  Each time someone wins, they get
a point in the overall match;  the first to get 6 points
(i.e. the complete tree) is the match winner!"

your first win, you score a small mid
on your second win, you put the small back, and take your 2 pointer
on your third win, you take back your small mid again
and so on...

each of the pyramids has 1, 2, or 3 little pips on them

we have also discussed scoring with pyramids with Cosmic Wimpout:
<http://www.wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2003/WN.01.30.03.html>

and when playing the card game Hearts:
<http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Andy/Games/HeartsWithPyramids.html>

has anyone on this list played Treehouse yet?
      http://www.wunderland.com/icehouse/Treehouse/

how should we pitch the educational value of this new game?

-Kristin