Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Volity Fluxx 3.1 online

  • From"S Mattison" <s.mattison@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 16 May 2006 15:01:37 -0700
I'm not trying to say that the reason that humans take so long to play
their cards is so that other humans can see what's going on. But I am
trying to say that the reason that Data on Star Trek TNG plays poker
slow, is so humans can see what's going on! You know how fast Data can
play a hand of poker if he really wants to. But you don't SEE him
doing that, ever. Most of the time, he speaks so that the crew can
understand him, he walks down hallways at the rate a normal crew
member would.

Sure, everyone on Star Trek could use teleporters instead of elevators
when they are requested at a certain location during a Red Alert, but
they don't because that would make a really odd television show that
the viewers could not follow easily.

And letting Bots play as fast as "their reflexes" allow them to is the
same thing, in principle.
Just my pair of pennies.
-Steve

On 5/16/06, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> True. But if you don't treat them as humans, you have the classic
> "Puzzle Pirates Foraging Imbalance".

Volity bots are treated exactly like humans, by the referee. Nothing
prevents a human from playing as fast as a bot, if he can click that
quickly.

Are you talking about games like Icetowers, where rapid reflexes are a
strategic advantage? Those games aren't very well suited for Volity
anyway, because players will have different lag handicaps. If you wanted
to implement such a game, you might consider putting a move delay on *all*
players. Or you might decide not to implement any bots.