Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Volity Fluxx 3.1 online

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 16 May 2006 17:46:38 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 15 May 2006, S Mattison wrote:

On 5/15/06, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Bot must take time and pretend to think of it's strategy, like a
> human opponent would. I've had this debate before, whist thinking of
> ways to implement realistic AI. There HAS to be a wait time, or
> otherwise the judges will realize that your AI is simply a chat-bot,
> because it responds instantly.
But we have no intention of fooling people into thinking that the bots are
humans.

True. But if you don't treat them as humans, you have the classic
"Puzzle Pirates Foraging Imbalance".

Volity bots are treated exactly like humans, by the referee. Nothing prevents a human from playing as fast as a bot, if he can click that quickly.

Are you talking about games like Icetowers, where rapid reflexes are a strategic advantage? Those games aren't very well suited for Volity anyway, because players will have different lag handicaps. If you wanted to implement such a game, you might consider putting a move delay on *all* players. Or you might decide not to implement any bots.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't subjected you to searches without a warrant,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're innocent.