RE: [Icehouse] Marketing (was: What about Volcano?)

  • From"Jeremy Lewis (home)" <paxdraxus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 27 Feb 2006 08:52:51 -0600
This replies is a bit disorganized and all over the road, but here goes:

I completely agree with the Looney's about the single color stashes.
Even though I prefer the single colored stashes, it looks like too much
of an investment.  I've introduced fifteen people to Volcano and they
all really enjoyed it, but only two people ordered enough stashes to
play.  Of the remaining thirteen: three said they would buy it if it was
done as a boxed set, but did not want to build a set themselves, nine
felt that it was too expensive to bother having their own set, one gave
up after the FLGS failed to order it for them two weeks in a row, and
the final one (much younger than the rest) said that he asked for it for
Christmas, but his Mom thought it had something to do with beer and
refused.

/boggle

I think it is those nine people that the Treehouse Model might reach.
It puts the system back into the impulse by category.  A diehard fan
will be willing to order nine more tube to assemble their set, but the
casual enthusiast can drop ten bucks to try it out.  It places the
pyramids in the same price point range as the card games and it also
makes it playable out of the box with minimal effort on the part of the
purchaser.

I worked in my FLGS for eight years and I can tell you from experience
that it is much easier to get some one to spend ten bucks on something
than it is to get them to spend one hundred.  It is also much easier to
get the owner to take a risk on a product if it hits that impulse buy
price point, doesn't take up much space, and carrying two them is all it
takes for him to say that he carries that full line of products.

Even then, some one in the store has to be excited about the game in
order to actively sell it and no amount of advertising is going to make
gamers go bananas for something like this.  TV ads (unless they were
done very well) would just inspire scorn.  It would also increase the
price point to something like fifteen dollars a stash (or more).  Ads in
Dragon and some of the CCG magazines might be helpful, but still might
not justify the cost... yet.

Word of mouth is how Magic: The Gathering got to be the next big thing
in games and it created the monster that is the CCG market.  I think
that we, as fans of Looney Labs, need to make sure that we get the word
out.  I only spread the game to fifteen people or so (too bad I went and
got a "real" job, eh?).  I'm sure that some of you have spread the game
to hundreds.  That's awesome, but it isn't enough.  I think a good
method might be to try and hook your FLGS employee on the game.  I can
assure you that CJ at our FLGS has more opportunities in a day to get
people to play Icehouse than I do, but I haven't gotten him to play it
yet.  He carries the complete line of Looney Labs card games now, but
Icehouse "looks too expensive" to him even though he admits the pyramids
are cool.  He's promised that he will give Treehouse a try.