Re: [Icehouse] Xeno color mapping for Homeworlds

  • From"James Hazelton" <jameshazelton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 4 Jun 2007 14:40:41 -0500
Well that is the question, isn't it. Do we want pieces that will be intuitive for new players discovering the game for the first time with Xeno colours, or do we want colours that will be intuitive for players who have played before and are used to Rainbow colours? I would rather have the latter, since new players are going to have to memorize the colours anyway, and having purple be grow because it is the colour of retinal isn't going to help most players learn it anyways.

In other words, a vague colour-to-meaning correlation isn't going to help new players nearly as much as it would hinder Rainbow-vet players who assume that light blue works the same as dark blue.

On 6/4/07, Jacob Davenport <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andy Looney wrote:
> I see his points, but I still favor my mapping:
>
>     Cyan = Green
>     Orange = Red
>     Purple = Blue
>     Clear = Yellow
>
> What do you think?

is what.  Our original thinking:

Blue - Originally the game was "Ice Traders" and John thought the blue
was closest to ice, so they trade color for color.
Green - grow some new pieces.
Red - fire the torpedoes!  Spill blood!  Attack!
Yellow - flames from the thrusters as you move from place to place.

So, with your four colors, I might suggest:
Cyan - blue sky, movement from place to place.
Orange - attack!
Purple - a peaceful color for growing.  Like green, another chlorophyll
color.
Clear - Ice Traders!  Change color.

YMMV.  But this is how I would approach it.

-Jacob