Re: [Icehouse] Xeno color mapping for Homeworlds

  • From"Tom Eigelsbach" <eigelsbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 4 Jun 2007 21:06:27 -0400
On 6/4/07, Rob Bryan <2short2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/4/07, Andy Looney <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But perhaps James has the answer:
>
> > Blue=Cyan Obvious correlation
> > Red=Orange Hottest colours
> > Yellow=Clear Lightest colours
> > Green=Purple Both are one step from blue
>
> That's not bad, actually... the Green-Purple becomes the hard one to
> remember, but Jacob seemed to think they work logically, and they're both
> in the cool end of the spectrum... I think I could live with this choice,
> what do others think? (In particular, TwoShort and Zoltar?)

I like it. Red=Orange and Yellow=Clear feel like the must-haves to me.
As noted, I can go either way with Cyan.  I tend to put Purple with
Blue by thinking of it in rainbow order as  Violet.  While it doesn't
go with green color wise, I guess I like Jabobs logic on some level:
Purple does feel somehow... fecund.

Yes, I'd agree with TwoShort that Red=Orange and Yellow=Clear feel forced.  I could get used to Cyan going to Green and Purple to Blue because both would be moving toward one of the two closest colors to them; the other matching -- Green to Purple and Blue to Cyan makes blue the easiest to match, and draws me to this mapping,  but makes a big color jump from Green to Purple, which is problematic, but do-able.  So I'd say strongly it really should be one of these two mappings, and of the two I favor the Blue to Cyan one slightly, though I see that the Blue to Purple and Green to Cyan would have the improvement of both colors smoothly shifting to the next-door neighbor color, so that's ok with me as well.  No other mappings would do it for me.

--Zoltar