Re: [Icehouse] Big wiki change

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 26 Mar 2011 03:00:17 -0400
On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

>>> ---Ryan, wiki admin
>
> Q: are there Subjunctive Mediawiki features on the wiki right now?  I
> know we'd talked about adding them, but I haven't followed up.
>
> If so, the best way to do a Big Reorg is to go through and tag all
> games with their Real Status, then recode the new destination pages as
> queries on Real Status.

As the one actually hosting the wiki, I've been slacking off on actually doing any upgrades. However, I did spend some time looking into this recently, as I'd like to get the wiki some of the shiny new features of MediaWiki and Semantic Mediawiki.

We're pretty far behind on both our MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki versions by now, and updating will be a bit of a pain. One of the main barriers to upgrading is that the data I inherited has some significant encoding issues; the databases were all created with ISO-8859-1 encodings, but UTF-8 data has been stored in them, which means that any time you do a dump and restore, you get nasty mojibake. This has already happened, at least twice (once before I took over, and once in the process of transitioning the database to me). I tried to fix the problem at the time I was importing the database, but couldn't figure anything out that would actually fix the problem without corrupting the data further. This is why pages like http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Torres_de_Asedio have their encoding completely screwed up.

So, before doing a major upgrade, we'll need to dump the database to back it up, but in order to make sure the backups aren't corrupting the data further, we need to fix the encoding issue. http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Backing_up_a_wiki has some tips on dealing with broken encodings, so it's probably just a matter of elbow grease that needs to be applied. Once we have good backup that isn't corrupted, we can do the MediaWiki upgrade http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading . That should be pretty simple, as MediaWiki makes upgrading pretty seamless, though of course we need to test everything out to make sure it's working on the upgrade before going live.

If that all goes well we can start the process of upgrading Semantic MediaWiki http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Installation . That looks like it might be a bit complicated, as we have a very old version installed. We will have to upgrade incrementally, I believe, doing  data migrations in between each upgrade.

This should all be doable, but it will take a bit of work. I haven't found the time to do it yet, but my life has settled down a bit recently such that I can probably now dedicate the time to doing the upgrade. If anyone would like to volunteer to help, either directly with the upgrade, or with testing the wiki out while I'm in the process of doing the upgrade to make sure I haven't broken anything (looking around to make sure encodings aren't messed up, editing pages, making sure the new SMW search features are working), I would greatly appreciate the assistance and (virtual) company. I can probably make time in one of the next few weekends, if anyone's interested in helping out let me know when you're free.

-- Brian