Re: [Rabbits] Whining

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 27 Jul 2006 16:29:12 -0400
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 02:10:18PM -0400, ragtimejean wrote:
>     Josh,
>    I just deleted about 35 e-mails. Is there some way to request Rabbits
>    not to Reply to All, when a question is asked by a specific Rabbit,
>    e.g., the music demo, the tarot discussions.
>    There is clearly some value in being able to ask a question of a
>    collection of similar interest people, but to have each of those
>    respond to everyone else clogs up e-mail for those who are not
>    interested in the original question. If a general discussion forum is
>    desired for Rabbits, perhaps that could be set up as a separate chat
>    room that you have to actually go to to participate.
>    Any advice welcome. End of whining.
>    Drama Mama

Drama Mama,

These topics (and the Binary Homeworlds conversation going on over on
the Icehouse list) are appropriate to the lists they're on, and they
benefit from list-wide discussion.  Replying to the list seems
appropriate to me for all of them.

If the amount of traffic is getting in your way, you might want to
consider tools to manage it at your end.  I use filters to put all the
list traffic into its own mailbox, where I can read it when I feel like
it but don't have it distracting me from personal email which might be
more important.  Another option is to switch over to digest mode, where
you'll get an email a day for each list you're subscribed to, containing
a digest of all the messages sent to the list for that day.  It cuts
down the amount of traffic into your mailbox significantly, although it
comes at the cost of a delay before you receive things.

Hope you can figure out a way to use the discussion lists in a way that
makes you comfortable.  If you'd like to follow up off-list to talk
about options in more detail, I'd be happy to do so.

Marc