Re: [Rabbits] Whining

  • FromBrian Campbell <Brian.P.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 27 Jul 2006 22:56:29 -0400
On Jul 27, 2006, at 2:10 PM, ragtimejean@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I just deleted about 35 e-mails. Is there some way to request Rabbits not to Reply to All, when a question is asked by a specific Rabbit, e.g., the music demo, the tarot discussions.

<snip>

Any advice welcome. End of whining.

As most people have already pointed out, these emails really are on topic for this list. There are lots of people here who are interested in the replies that people are sending, so sending replies only to the original poster would not be productive.

Now, sometimes this can mean that long threads happen that you're not interested in. This happens on most mailing lists, so you need to find a way to deal with it. I don't know what email client you are using, but it may have one or more features that would help you. Most email clients have a way of automatically filtering a particular mailing list into a particular folder. If you use this functionality, you won't get any of these messages cluttering your inbox, and when you go to that folder, you can read only the messages you're interested in.

These days, with disk storage being as cheap as it is, you don't really need to spend the time deleting the messages you don't read. If you are using an email host that gives you a very limited quota, you can move to any of several free hosts that give you a gig or more; I believe Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail all give you more than a gig at this point.

Gmail also has a feature that some people like and some don't, which collapses all messages in a particular thread into one line, which makes it easier to ignore if you don't like it. Several other email clients also offer threaded email display, which should allow you to just collapse the whole thread and ignore it, or delete it as a whole. Mail.app on Mac OS X offers this, I'm pretty sure Thunderbird does, and others may as well.

Finally, if you can't filter or use threaded display with the email client or provider of your choice, you can change your mailing list options so you get the messages in digest mode. This means that the mailing list will automatically collect multiple messages together and send it in a single email, usually once per day, but possibly more or less often depending on the settings. You can find a link at the bottom of each message that will allow you to change your settings.

OK, so that's a bunch of solutions to the variety of problems I imagine you might be having, since I wasn't sure what you were using or what problems you might have been having. I just filter my email into folders, and skip past messages I'm not interested in reading.