Re: [Rabbits] Adding More Characters to AYAW??

  • FromJeff Zeitlin <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 18 Sep 2007 13:50:01 -0400
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:09:06 -0700, you wrote to Freelance Traveller:

>> From: Jeff Zeitlin <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> >The dead cannot talk in games I play.  They are just observers.
>>
>> This is one of the bad things about English not having grammatical cases
>> like German or Russian.
>>
>> The Face Hugger allows a player to silence someone once they (the Face
>> Hugger) have died.

>Uh, not to be a prickly pedant,  but YOU made the grammatical error by
>using "they" for a singular third person pronoun and by "casting it
>back" across the object in hopes it would stick to the subject (which,
>FYI, it rarely will--folks tend to "cast back" to the most-recent noun
>that they read).

>Had you written it as follows, you would have caused no confusion:
>"When the the Face Hugger dies, he or she may silence another player for
>the rest of the game."

>Now... I won't argue that English is in dire need of a neuter third
>person pronoun to get rid of that silly "he or she" crap or use of
>"they" as a neuter singular (which German DOES have, to the woe of
>German language students here in the US). Not to mention a third person
>plural pronoun distinct from the singular (hence the reason we invent
>words like "y'all" and "youze" to fill that niche).

>But anyhow... you made that confusion, not the English language....
>David

You are correct; however, the original error was Maria P's (quoted
above), not mine.  The issue was not one of grammatical gender, though;
rather, it was the ambiguity of the given construction coupled with the
lack of grammatical case in English that I was pointing out.

Maria wrote - and I've copied it from above - "...a "face hugger" card
(or an alien card) that allowed them to silence someone once they died."

The use of 'they' is ambiguous in this construction - the two possible
reading are (text in brackets mine for clarification):

1. "...a "face hugger" card (or an alien card) that allowed them to
silence someone once they [the person to be silenced] died."

2. "...a "face hugger" card (or an alien card) that allowed them to
silence someone once they [the person holding the Face Hugger card]
died."

Subsequent comments about dead people not being able to speak in other
people's games indicate that the people making those comments read the
construction as #1 above, when Maria's intent was #2.

Your correction directed at me - the less ambiguous construction of
"When the the Face Hugger dies, he or she may silence another player for
the rest of the game." - is in fact correct and would have clarified the
issue admirably - but it should have been directed to Maria, rather than
to me.