Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

RE: [Something] Selling mtg cards

  • DateWed, 24 Oct 2007 09:10:26 -0700
Well, now that we're on a ramble...
;)

> From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
> Actually, it's 4 cents per card (You want to divide the price by the
> number of cards, not vice versa.)

Two Liberal Arts degrees: $40,000
Never having to say your sorry for math errors: Priceless

> the price of the sticker sheets and the time you spend cutting,
> applying, and trimming the stickers.

I though that was a "push," given that we're speaking of re-purposing
existing cards. You're not considering the new trees that must be
brutally murdered in their prime, to make PlainCards; whereas the souls
of those trees that gave themselves to MTG or SF were long ago put to
rest and forgotten....

> Plus, your deck says "Shadowfist" on the back

What's your point? I happen to like Chinese women doing flying side
kicks; doesn't everyone?

> and you make Shadowfist designers cry.

I think they all hung themselves back in the 20th Century; but if any
are still around and getting royalties... well, I don't think they'll
cry long before heading to the bank.

Besides, SF *is* a cool game; and a full box will set you up with quite
a few decks and still have, oh, a couple hundred left over for use as
proxies. IIRC, the game even has a four-card-per-deck limit by the
rules, so unless you almost *have* to have four of a certain card in
almost *every* deck... you're gonna have some repeats that you'll never
use at all.

> 432 Plaincards are only about 7 cents each with blank backs, and you
> just print out onto the cards. There's a bit of labor in punching them
> out, but they have nice rounded corners and you can even print out
> custom backs.

Ah, yes... in color, right? That's, what, anywhere from 10¢ to 30¢ per
sheet... times two, if duplexed?

(OK, OK, that's a push--gotta print on the sticker sheets to make
proxies... but not the backs!)

> but their product completes well
> cost-wise, saves time/effort, and produces nicer cards.

I'll take your word for it. But...

How are they on long-term bleed-through?
Are they in any way see-through?
Can they accept laser printing?
Do they flow well through high-speed printers?
How ragged are the perforations?
How many do you lose (tear, crease, smear) per sheet, in disassembly?
How do they shuffle? How about after a hundred shuffles?
How much is the clear-coat spray (sold on the site), per card?

> Anyway, just my opinion. Reasoned, experienced, and well informed, but
> my opinion nevertheless. =^>

And remind us again of what opinions are like...?
;P

*tongue out of cheek*

In all seriousness, though, I really do think it's "better" to
re-purpose existing, heavy duty cards than to build from scratch with
some kind of perf sheets. Recycle, Reduce, *Reuse*, doncha know.

David