Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Zombie Fluxx Question

  • From"Christopher Onstad" <xofour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 3 Jan 2008 21:27:38 -0800
See this is way cool,  Two different answers already, both of which make sense.

As I was formulating my response, I realized that I can be a confusing communicator.  So it might be helpful if I gave the full text of the card in question. so  here is the exact text (except where I added a parenthetical comment because I couldn't resist:

Keeper (in spooky font)

To play this card, place it face up on the table in front of you.

(white space)

Zombie Repellent
--------------------------------------

If you have this card on the table, each Zombie you HAVE (my capitalization for emphasis) is INSTANTLY (ditto about the caps) moved to the player of your choice.

I think I am warring between the "have" and the "instantly" because have implies that it is in your protections.  But instant implies no time.

>Short answer to long question:
>Any goal is fulfilled when the conditions are met.  Immediately.

I understand this part, and agree fully, it can be alot of fun when you accidently win for somebody else.

>Longer answer:
>The cards have no memory of where they used to be (nor do they anticipate where they are >going next).  As soon as Zombie Victory hit the table, you won.  The requisite number of >Creepers were out and you had none.  Period. Done. Winner!  Pick 'em up, shuffle up and >deal.  Next hand!

Well, I would not have won, because the Zombie Victory is an "everybody loses" card, but the gist is the same.  But what I think you are saying is that the zombie shuffle card took precedence over the Zombie Repellent, so at the point the game ending zombie came into my zone the game was over before the repellent could work.  This was my second, or third, or fourth thoughts, or at least one half of my confusion, and your point makes sense.  The cards have to be played in a certain order.  It's just (as Carl Mentions below) the word instantly that is making me teeter-totter.

>Yes, it's fun to not lose on your first go, but that's the way Fluxx is... sometimes you win >when you're trying not to.

Again agreed.  And if a person had one, or the zombie victory was without a doubt (no repellent) I would not have had a question, and never would have gotten to meet you wonderful people.   Actually one of the things I try to stress to people about Fluxx is that the fun is in the playing, and the game ending is just a signal to stop playing for a bit.  I just used the uncertaintly of the repellent to avoid that in this instance.  I did explain that it would be a null victory, but chose an interpretation which avoided that scenario.  Then wondered, because nobody likes to be a cheater.  (well except people who enjoy getting ahead by unfair and unethical tactics.)

>Welcome to the list and glad you're a fan!
>Carol
Thank you very much for your welcome, and your answer.  It is really cool to meet you, and I really appreciate you wading through my post, making some sense of it, and offering me an answer.