Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Zombie Fluxx Question

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 07 Jan 2008 10:15:02 -0800
On Monday, January 07, 2008, at 12:46PM, "Ryan Hackel" <deeplogic@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

><snip text from Josh Pate>
>One possibly helpful way to look at it is that every goal is snapshot-dependent.  If you can take a snapshot that satisfies the victory conditions, even if someone is in the middle of a turn or the middle of a play, the game is over, and the appropriate player(s) [or zombies] win.
></snip>
>
>If we want to make this idea a standard Fluxx rule, elevating it to the status of canon despite Andy just ruling contradictory to it, I like the idea of calling it the "Polaroid Rule".  Seemed like too good a name to pass up.
>
>...or we just let card effects resolve before checking for victory, like nearly every other card game.

It gets tricky.  Yes, it is possible to win while you are in the middle of completing an action, but there are exceptions that would render the "Polaroid Rule" moot (mostly involving Creepers).

For example, if I have the Sun and the Moon in play and I draw the Sun and the Moon goal during Draw 2 And Use Them, I can play it and win before even playing the second card.  However, if the next player has Larry, I'll get Larry when the goal changes to Sun and the Moon, preventing me from winning.  There will be a moment there when you'd have a "snapshot" of me winning, but it is certainly not appropriate to say I win before Larry screws it up, given that his sole purpose is to do so.