Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Cheese Shop and Get On With It!

  • From"Carol Townsend" <carol.townsend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 7 Nov 2008 12:57:51 -0600

On 11/7/08, Bryan Stout <bryan.stout@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
He didn't win. The option to discard your entire hand carries a requirement that you immediately draw replacement cards. You must obey the entire sentence. The two events happen in a sequence, but both must happen before anything else can occur.

-- Andy

Thank, Andy.  You save me the trouble of doing research about the issue :-). I'll assume that the general principle is: you cannot declare a win while the most recent card played or invoked is being resolved.

(I say "most recent" because cards like D3P2 and D2&U result in playing several more cards.  If you play D2&U and then play a Keeper that fulfills a goal, you don't have to play the second card you drew before declaring the win.)

This might be a subject for a Meta-Rule (and you gave us a well written way to deal with it) because of the wording of the main rules sheet.

"The Goal applies to everyone; as soon as someone meets these conditions, they win! "   and
"The game continues until someone meets the conditions of the current Goal. That player wins instantly, no matter whose turn it is."

"as soon as..."
"instantly..."

I know I'm the one who brought this whole mess up, and I'm more than willing to go with Andy's ruling (it means I won and my husband didn't - heh).  But the more I think about it, the more I think I'll have to use a Meta-Rules Blanxx (when available) to remember Andy's ruling on this.

Carol