Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Cheese Shop and Get On With It!

  • From"Bryan Stout" <bryan.stout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 07 Nov 2008 07:11:33 -0500
From: "Alan Anderson" <aranders@xxxxxxxxxx>
In Carol's situation, the Get On With It! card has you discard your hand, and then draw 3 more cards. I see them as being sequential rather than simultaneous,...

The card says "and", not "then". There's no indication that they are anything other than simultaneous.

My interpretation: he didn't win.

Actually, I know it says "and" -- I double-checked before I wrote. Here's my reasoning: two steps that go together can be considered simultaneous if you can imagine them happening in any order. If they could only happen in one order, they are sequential.

So with the Hot Potato, once I lay down a new Goal, I could either discard the old Goal and then shift the Potato, or shift the Potato and then discard the old Goal. They are essentially simultaneous and inseparable.

But with Get On With It!, I would only do it in one order: I discard my whole hand and then draw 3 more. Doing it in reverse -- drawing 3 new cards and then discarding my whole hand -- would violate the intent of GOWI. So that's why I said "and then" earlier: there is an inherent sequence to the two steps.

And once you have a sequence in steps, you have spots in between the steps when you can declare a win.

But the other interpretation is also reasonable. One could argue that the card immediately being acted on must be completely finished before declaring a win. And that's why I said I could see Andy ruling either way.

So the larger question is: is the indivisible event the card, or the steps within the card? I'll need to look over my Fluxx decks to help think about it.

Regards,
Bryan