Re: [Icehouse] new Treehouse rules layout

  • FromCarlton Noles <carlton.noles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 23 Jan 2006 12:00:57 -0500

On 1/23/06, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Carlton Noles wrote:

People have been complaining about unclear wording in the rules that
*doesn't* give them what they need to play the game.

And casual gamers don't generally make up a rule, if they don't understand
it. They throw the game back in the box and play something else. It's us
game experts who are willing to try to extrapolate the designer's intent
from the other rules and a general sense of game elegance.

I agreed that it should be as clear as possible. As far as making up the rest, I never said anything about extrapolating the designer's intent I speaking for the gamers' intent. When we ran across a rule we didn't quite get all the way we all agreed as to a mutual reading and played on. Usually we got it right or close enough the only time it really mattered as to whether we got it exactly was in a tournament setting or something similar. Again I am not saying make it as clear as possible, By all means we all need to understand as best we can. What I am saying is that it is not practical to cover all possible misconceptions on a stash tube. Just when you make something foolproof along come better fools.

--
Carlton "Kermit" Noles