Re: [Icehouse] Winter IGDC - Coasters?

  • From"Avri Klemer" <avri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 21 Sep 2007 13:47:43 -0400
I don't know - where does the restriction end? "You must use 4 (or 5) Coasters, and the arrows, and the colors, and dice, and the fact that the coasters can be rotated/separated."? You end up with only one game - Martian Coasters!

Would we have excluded Zamboni Wars from consideration becuase it doesn't reference Coaster color? If not what is the difference between color and arrows?

I think any game that uses Martian Coasters in some way should be eligible - I'm sure people will come up with all kids of ways to use them. If you think the "Martian Coaster-ness" of a game is suspect, rank it lower.

my 2 cents

P.S. I smell another poll coming from David!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Icehouse Discussion List" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Icehouse] Winter IGDC - Coasters?

Ryan wrote:
If a game requires 1 to 4 or 5 3x3 boards without any arrows,
would that count as "a Martian Coaster game"?

For instance, is Twin Win a Martian Coaster game? It uses a
single 3x3 board and completely ignores the arrows on the
original coaster.

I say no to both questions. If you're able to ignore aspects of
the coaster that make it a unique game product, where does it end?

You can play IceTowers on a set of Martian Coasters, you just
ignore everything about the arrows and the grid. That doesn't
make IceTowers a coaster game.

You can play Icehouse using the coasters as stash pads, but that
doesn't make Icehouse a coaster game.

Of course every designer will likely interpret the requirements
of competition slightly differently, but how badly would you
personally penalize, say, Twin Win if it were in the running?

Will games that do not follow the theme be allowed to enter?

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx