Re: [Icehouse] IGDC Winter 2009??

  • From"Doug Orleans" <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 14 Aug 2008 22:28:48 -0400
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Jorge Arroyo <trozo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And if there is no need of making a product restriction, why not another
> kind of restriction? A mechanic or theme...
>
> I vote for real time game

I don't like real time games, and I would be very unlikely to vote in
a contest of real time game designs (because I probably wouldn't want
to play any of them).  On the other hand, I would be very curious to
see what people can come up with.  So, go ahead without me if there's
enough interest.

My idea for a design restriction is to require an element of chance.
Designing games with or without chance are two very different
challenges, and it almost seems unfair to compare these two types of
games in the same contest.  The results of past IGDCs seem to indicate
that decent no-luck Icehouse games are much easier to design, or else
the pool of Icehouse game designers happens to be skewed towards the
skill of designing no-luck games.  I prefer playing games that involve
chance, though, so I would love to see more Icehouse games with a good
balance of strategy and luck.

--dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx