Re: [Icehouse] Your favorite (and least favorite) 3 (or 7) games

  • FromDavid Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 23 Mar 2009 15:34:31 -0400
2009/3/23 Avri Klemer <avri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Plays Avg. Length Avg. Time First Player Wins Size of Sample
109 40 moves 86d:37m:53s 43.02% 86 games

Definitely never seen a first turn advantage.  Stats suggest the opposite (though I've not seen that either).

I stand corrected on the stats (though an 84-game sample is small). Is that 40 moves per side, or 20 per side? If the former... yeah, it plays too long--that would be something like, oh, an hour and a half, for "thinking men" playing, right (averaging a minute a move)?

Wonder what it would play like on a 6x6 board, or half a chessboard (maybe even with the goal being the two center squares at each end)?

What is the optimal strategy you use?  I've been playing constantly for a couple of years now, and my play has evolved through a number of styles in that time.

*I* don't have a single optimal strategy; I just suspect that there is one. Gut instinct, I reckon. Given the scarcity of piece types (3) and the limits of moves (2, or 3 if you count Stand to change directions), I can't see it lending itself to a variety of play styles like, oh, a CCG (an intentionally extreme example, given their VAST number of "piece types" and "moves" and customizable decks).

yet to play a game where the back and forth loops didn't resolve into a goal before seeing a repeated board position.

I guess those loops also got to me--too often, it seemed like a lot of maneuvering to get a "man up" on the tackles, followed by a flurry of tackles which tended to get one back to about the same position, only maybe a square closer or further.

Then again, I really haven't played a TON--like I said, I couldn't get to the end of a game before losing interest (or losing a demo recipient's attention). It's nothing to feel "bad" about; it's just not my kind of game... and this is nothing more than a preferences thread. I mean, dig it: Five of my other Not-So-Favs are published games, some with huge followings and annual tournaments and so-forth!

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime (offline--I really can't stand the weeks-long pace of SDG games).