Re: [Icehouse] Your favorite (and least favorite) 3 (or 7) games

  • From"Ryan Hackel" <deeplogic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 20 Mar 2009 14:58:41 -0400
I'll stick to Ice-games I've actually played. Even after four years, I've covered less than 20% of Ice-games out there.

Best>> Volcano. Half of my Ice-gaming is all Volcano. It's permanently set up on my coffee table. I've made two boards for it, and can get my abstract-shy wife to suggest it.

Second best>> Martian Coasters. A great melding of luck, tactics, and visual flair. Not only does it scratch the Backgammon itch, I just might prefer it over Backgammon. I never play without the black fifth coaster.

Third best>> Zarcana. Zarcana thrills the CCG veteran in me. I really dig Zarcana for the replayability, the Trump Powers, and the ability to find and exploit combos without having to burn your brain. All attempts to reinvent Zarcana fall short on fun, though I'll give Zark City honorable mention. I went through the trouble of making my own deck just for Zarcana: http://ceruleansgames.tripod.com/zarcanadeck.htm

(There are dozens of Icehouse games I've played many times, and most of them fall in the fuzzy gray region here.)

Third worst>> Drip. I tried this a few times, and found that it has almost no replayability. The first game was interesting, but twice was enough, and three times was one too many.

Second worst>> Hailstorm. Perfect for those awkward times when you don't want to think. My brain doesn't get this bored very often, but I know other people who fry their lobes more quickly. If I ever get roped into this again, it will be on someone else's behalf.

Worst>> Martian 12s. If this hadn't shown up in last year's IDGC, I wouldn't have talked myself into trying it. Neither improves upon Blackjack nor is as much fun as Hailstorm.

--- Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: "David L. Willson" [DLWillson@xxxxxxxxxx]
Date: 03/20/2009 12:27 PM
To: "icehouse" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Icehouse] Your favorite (and least favorite) 3 (or 7) games

Favorites:

1) Zendo
2) Icehouse
3) Homeworlds
*) Treehouse (for little/new people)
*) Thin Ice (same, but I really like this one)
*) Death Race (because Max made it, but it takes too darn long)
*) Thin Ice

Least Favorites:

Martian Coasters - The more I play it, the more random and too-long it seems.
IceTowers - Why can't I find the fun? I teach it and play it and suck at it.
Homeworlds - Why, why, why can't I ever beat Davey!?

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS
Freeing people from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsofty-ness, one at a time.