Re: [Icehouse] Suggestions for future Icehouse Game Design Competitions

  • From"Ryan Hackel" <deeplogic@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 05 Nov 2009 09:14:12 -0500
Want better feedback and collaboration? Fewer entries, more judges.

I definitely like the idea of tying the IGDC to The Big Experiment at Origins. At no other point in the year are there that many pyramaniacs in one place at one time. However, it would step on the toes of the idea that the IGDC is fan-run, not an official LL activity.

---Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bryan Stout" [stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx]
Date: 11/02/2009 08:01 AM
To: "Icehouse Discussion List" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Icehouse] Suggestions for future Icehouse Game Design Competitions

I don't know when the next IGDC will be, but I do have some
suggestions for future competitions:

1. Design a game using a chess board with terrain, that is different
levels of elevation. For example, the game Terrace
(http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2872) uses an 8x8 board with 8
levels in a saddle shape, two opposing corners having the highest
level, and the other two corners the lowest; the levels affect how the
pieces move and capture. I have designed a game Ziggurat which treats
the chessboard as a pyramid-shaped board, and I'll be posting it to
the wiki soon. I have thought of other ways of assigning elevation to
the chessboard, and I find it very productive for creative game ideas.

2. Design a game using one or more Uno card game decks. I remember
someone once mentioning that Uno could make a good fit with Treehouse,
since the colors of the suits match the colors in Rainbow stashes. I
haven't done anything along those lines yet, but I think that should
be another good source of ideas.

IIRC, the next competition was supposed to be unrestricted, but if it
happens soon enough I may submit Ziggurat anyway. But I would like to
see future competitions around either of these themes.

Bryan